Child educational psychology as a branch of psychology, give important contribution to the early childhood education process. It has been used since long ago in educational psychology as cornerstone in theory development and educational practice and has given great contribution to education, such as curriculum development, system of learning and assessment.
Educational psychology is one of the psychology that studies how human learn in education setting, the effectiveness of teaching, teaching method, and managing school organization to reach the objectives of national education in accordance with standard of national education so that educational process held in interactive, inspiring, fun, challenging , motivate the students to participate actively, as well as provide enough space for innovation, creativity, and independence according to the talents, interests, and physical development as well as psychological of the students.
Studies in educational psychology have spawned various theories underlying the learning system. We know some theories of learning, such as: classical conditioning theory, connectionism, operant conditioning, gestalt, power theory, cognitive theory , and other learning theories. Despite the controversy that accompanies weakness of each theory, in reality these theories have contributed significantly to the learning process.
Some of roles and contributions of educational psychology, particularly child educational psychology for educators, are:
- Helping educators to be more open to child’s individual differences. Children are born with their unique personality to each other so that role of educational psychology will help educators to understand this, so that resulting in the effectiveness of teaching and learning process.
- By knowing the psychology of education will be able to create an effective teaching method. Effective learning method will help a lot teachers and parents in reaching the objective of education.
- When there’s problem with student, child educational psychology can help to give an idea of what is going on with student. It will really help teacher and parents to overcome the problem happens so that it is not protracted and cause negative effect to the child. The same understanding between teacher and parents over the child’s problem can be supported by an understanding of educational psychology.
- Assisting to evaluate children’s learning, when children have difficulty in learning process. Proper evaluation will help much to overcome problems that might occur in the children’s learning process. Thus students can be accommodated right solution to overcome the problems.
- Improve ability of observing student’s behavior. As it is important when students show different behavior, so that proper understanding to the differences not giving negative label to the child.
- Directing educators to understand more in dealing children with special needs. A good and right understanding based on child educational psychology will assist children with special needs to grow and develop with their characters. Children with special needs should be treated in accordance with their characters based on child psychology and educational psychology.
For young children as learners contribution of child educational psychology, among others:
- It is expected that student to know and understand the essence of learning. Better knowledge of essence learning will make learning process run more effectively and optimally.
- Learners are also expected to be more cooperative and democratic. So that children feel the freedom in sense of responsible freedom in expressing all the potential, talent and ability optimally.
- Every child is born with a unique personality, which can help towards development of positive personality. Learners should understand how to develop a positive personality more maximally and eliminate negative thing from the personality.
- When children are helped to recognize their potential, then they can choose the right extra curricular and intra curricular activities for them. It is important so that their potential can grow into proper direction .
Child educational psychology in helping successful educational goals have quite important role. It is time for educational stakeholders, especially teachers and parents to have better understanding about child educational psychology in order to achieve the educational goals as expected.